Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Oh Lord, it's "back to school night" week

We have kids in middle school and high school and so 2 nights this week are taken up with going around to all the classrooms, hearing each teacher's philosophy on homework and student responsibility, and trying desperately to not get overwhelmed. I have already gotten a nasty email from one of my son's teachers because we couldn't find the link to his policy page online. Really? 

Here's the thing: I don't want it to be an "us against them" mentality (us being the parents, them being the teachers). I want us to be a team, working together, preparing our kids/students for the upcoming years. But when a teacher comes out of the gate running, I'll be damned if I'm not going to run too. My mom was a teacher during my whole childhood (and beyond) and I always swore that I wouldn't be one of "those" parents. You know, the high maintenance, email writing, meeting requester, questioner of policies kind of parent. 
But I am.
(Usually with a smile.)
 (And banana bread. )
For my children, I am one of those parents.
It is not a comfortable shoe for me to fill, but I'll do it.

Boy, that was pretty wordy for me. :) Here are some pretty pictures...






No comments: