Tuesday, May 3, 2011

recipe & awesome book

As many of my friends know, my DREAM job would be working for Food and Wine magazine or Cooking Light magazine...maybe some kind of outdoor dinner party? Or an indoor baking session during the holidays? Or a mother's day tea? Maybe one day. :) In the mean time, I will be practicing my heart out with this book by Helene Dujardin. Her blog is amazing and the book is even better in person. She is really generous to share all of this info with people. Her blog is http://www.tarteletteblog.com/ and her book is Plate to Pixel (when you look for it in a store, it's in color...was just fooling around with my iphone with this black and white image). Thank you dear husband for getting me an early Mother's Day present!


And I got lots of requests for the smoothie recipe (2 to be exact...that's "lots," right?)
Here goes:

Frozen fruit - I use whatever I have on hand...this one had strawberries, pineapple, mango, papaya and 1 chunk of banana (whenever bananas start to get to that point when no one in my house will eat them and I know I'm not going to have time to make banana bread, I cut them up and put them in the freezer for smoothies)
Organic Soy Milk - I get a case at a time at Costco

Directions:
1. Put about 1 1/2 - 2 cups frozen fruit in the best blender you can get your hands on
2. Pour soy milk in to just about equal with the fruit.
3. Blend
4. Stir
5.Blend
6. Apologize to everyone in your house for making so much noise.
7. Blend more
 8. Garnish with fresh basil that you are so proud of growing yourself
9. Drink, knowing that you have just had 4 servings of the recommended fruit & veggie servings

Sometimes I add ground flax seed or vegetarian protein powder, depending on what else I'm eating for the day. 
Let me know how your smoothie making goes! :)


1 comment:

Shash said...

Thank you!

Actually, it is not too far off of my whatever-I-have-available smoothie, though mine often contains yogurt for protein. Try putting some fresh baby spinich in it.