Thursday, May 19, 2011

Brought to you by the letter "D"

"D" is for Draw...which is what I'm going to do, cuz I am completely inspired by this list that the amazing Amy from http://pikaland.com/ made and is generous enough to share today. This is perfect for summer...you know, when your kids say "I'm bored, there's nothing to do". :) love love love this! Feel free to right click save the list for yourself. Let's spread some drawing love!



Today I was listening to an interview with My Chemical Romance's lead singer Gerard Way and he was talking about how he went to art school & wanted to be a comic book writer and artist, but the band took off, so he draws when he can, including right now a comic that is connected to their latest album, Danger Days, The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys. First, I love this band. Second, I love that he is a comic-con geek. Third, I LOVE that he is an artist. He's a singer and writer and musician and comic book artist. I love that. I think it really resonated with me because so many times in my own life, I feel like I should only do ONE thing, photography. And I love photography, but it's not WHO I am. If I limit myself to that, there is something missing. I don't feel complete. I want to constantly be learning new things and taking on new and scary projects and not be put into the "photographer" box. I am an artist. And for me that includes jewelry making, painting, drawing, sketching, photo taking, cooking, & a thousand other things that I haven't tried yet. Isn't it freeing to be out of that box and just be?

1 comment:

Shash said...

I agree that we are not just all one thing. My biggest complaint about working in the corporate world is that they try to pigeon-hole your skills. I'm an instructional designer. But I've also been a layout artist, supermarket cashier, business analyst and, in one of my hobbies I regularly prove that I have a calm head in emergency situations.

I love being able to use all my different skills. Obviously, many of us do. So why doesn't the corporate world learn to take advantage of that?