Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Recycle Wednesday #2...confession:

I am completely addicted to paper towels.

And I feel GUILTY every time I use them. They can only be used once, can't be recycled, fill up land fills, and during the production of them, they are bleached with chlorine gas, which releases a very bad chemical which can cause major damage for wildlife and people. Also, most paper towels are made from virgin trees (for the softest and most bendable paper), so there go the trees and the animals that live in them. Most of these trees are in Canada. Sorry Canada!

So, my goal and challenge is to use them only for emergencies.
Here's what I'm gonna do, every time I have some clothes to donate to Goodwill, I'm going to go through the t-shirts. Any of them that have stains will be cut up into paper towel size pieces for cleaning. I did this last week and cleaned all our toilets and sinks with half a shirt. I have a special bag in the laundry room for these rags (because, yuck) and I plan to wash them weekly.
I'm still going to use paper towels for throw-up and dog accidents. And as soon as I'm done with the pack I have, I will be switching to paper towels made from recycled products.

Happy Green Wednesday! :)

No comments: